This Space Available (In the landfill) *Activity Blog*

After watching This Space Available last week, it got me thinking about not only the visual pollution and energy waste created by the billboards, but also the physical waste.

Billboards (non-digital ones) are made with vinyl, something that does not biodegrade. Almost 10,000 tons are thrown away every year, according to this site. All of that vinyl takes up space in landfills, and never goes away; it just sits there. What I liked about the site I found that discussed it is that they turn the vinyl into backpacks, recycling it for a better purpose. What was really interesting to me was that I couldn’t find a definite number on google on the amount wasted every year except for on the site that was marketing the re-used vinyl; I thought that was really strange, and wondered if people haven’t looked into this issue.

This Space Available was a thought-provoking documentary on visual pollution. It certainly was never something I thought about before. The fact that the visual pollution extends to energy and solid waste pollution as well just goes to show how interconnected everything in the world is today. I, for one, would welcome getting rid of billboards, as they are very distracting on the road, but I don’t think that’s going to happen any time soon here in the US.

This is Annika, signing off her activity blog.

3 Responses to “This Space Available (In the landfill) *Activity Blog*”

1. Dr. Szulczewski says:

I like how you called this thought-provoking. And it’s true, like what swebb commented, that it just shows you how MUCH there is that we haven’t considered- but should.

2. mauer says:

I guess this is a small niche. Vinyl billboard recycling. But it is foolish that people are just throwing it into landfills. Maybe manufacturers of billboards should also be responsible for recycling their own billboards? If we kept them responsible and required businesses to recycle them it might keep billboards out of landfills and cut down on pollution. I think this is, unfortunately, an issue that will never gain big recognition. However, it defiantly should not be ignored.

3. swebb says:

Interesting post on something that I (and I’m sure many others) have never really thought about before. Where do all those signs go? There are so many loose ends when it comes to disposing of materials, in my hometown you can still dumb your waste in the river (something that many people do not know though). Vinyl is expensive, I’m shocked that people don’t recycle it more!